Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

A red light keeps flashing on my hand set but there are no

A red light keeps flashing on my hand set but there are no messages
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask the Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?
If this is a cordless system, please look for the model number on the back or bottom of the Main Base Unit of the system.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

uniden model Dect 1580

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

UNIDEN Model DECT 1580

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Sorry for any delay - it does take me a minute or two to see and respond to your notes.

May I ask the TOTAL number of handsets that you have for this system and if more than one, are ALL of the handsets flashing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5 phones and 2 bases

May I ask if ALL of the handsets of this particular system have the flashing RED indicator?

Also, of the handsets that are flashing, do you see any "icon" on the screen, like perhaps one that looks like a "V" above the letter "M"?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all of them are flashing----no icons on the screen

Sorry for the delay - the system here seems to be a bit slow today in sending your responses back to me.

OK - what I would like to do is have you perform a quick TEST. This test involves picking up ANY of the handsets that is flashing and pressing the TALK button, and then QUICKLY listen for the dial tone. You may want to do this 2 or 3 times, but what we are checking for is a series of "pulsed" dial tones, followed by a "solid" dial tone.

Can you please try that a few times and let me know if you can hear those "pulsed" dial tones?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It goes beep---beep---beep--- and then a Steady dial tone

OK - what you are hearing with those "pulsed" dial tones is what is sometimes referred to as "stutter tones", and they are coming from your phone service provider.

What they do is tell your phone system that you have a "Voice Mail" message waiting OR that the "voice mail" system has to be set up.

Now if you did NOT order such a "Voice mail" system, or were unaware that such a system had been turned on, then you will need to contact your phone service provider to find out about this system being turned ON and when this occurred. I say this because many phone service providers will simply turn these systems on, and they will then add a monthly fee to your phone bill. This often happens when ANY change is made to your phone service.

I personally do not like this kind of method of adding services (and charges) to your phone bill, and I have complained to them when this happened to me, and I told them that I would switch to another service provider if something like this happened again. As a result, they cancelled the voice mail service, all the fees associated with it, and gave me a credit - to keep me as a customer. You may want to consider doing something similar if you find that they used the same method of trying to get you to pay more each month for this service.

Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions.