Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

I have an ATT EP5962 and the base no longer gives the correct

I have an ATT EP5962 and the base no longer gives the correct time. The minutes are accurate, but the hours run fast.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask "how far" off the hour is on this system?

May I also ask if you have corrected the time, and how long it takes for the hours to be off again?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I reset the time at 10:30 a.m. this morning; it is now 12:34 p.m. and the clock reads 4:34 p.m.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
HI again and thanks for that information.

OK - so the system is saying that it is 4 hours AHEAD of the actual time, but the minutes are correct.

May I ask if you have Caller ID AND have you received ANY calls since you reset the correct time this morning?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have caller ID and I received a number of calls since the system was reset this morning.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

OK - that is what I was thinking had happened.

You see, MOST of the modern phones will try to "sync in" on the time & date stamp that comes in with the Caller ID information.

That time & date information comes from your service provider, so I must now ask what service provider you have AND how long it has been since you noticed this issue?

To TEST this is the cause, all you would have to do is reset the time to the correct hour, and then place a TEST CALL to your number from a different phone - such as a cell phone or from a friend - where the system shows some valid Caller ID information. If the time "changes" immediately after that call, then we have confirmed the issue.

Please let me know what service provider you have, and I will check the specifications for this system to see if we can turn OFF that time-sync function.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My service provider is Vonage (a VOIP) and the system worked fine for a number of years. I tried the step that you suggested above and the time jumped ahead by 4 hours!

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

OK - then we have confirmed that this is a provider issue.

I also checked for a procedure to turn off the "time sync" function on this phone system, and it appears that this particular phone system does not include that function. Based on the age of the system (made about 2005), it appears that the AT&T folks had assumed that the Caller ID date stamp would be correct, and they did not include the ability to turn it off. That makes sense, as I have only noticed the ability to turn off the time sync appearing in most phones in the last two years.

So for a solution, it appears that you will need to contact your provider (Vonage) and see if the setting for the "Time Zone" for your service is set correctly. I suspect that this setting has changed somehow, or there is an error in the time zone that it is reporting to your phone system.

Please let me know what you find or REPLY if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Working with Electronics for 25+ years.