Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.

the phone rings, but when you answer it, its dead. Model#kx-tg5651-5652.

the phone rings, but when you answer it, it's dead. Model#kx-tg5651-5652. also no dial tone. I have 2 sets that are interchangeable. It's worked since I bought it several years ago. I only have two handsets that work now.
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

May I ask if you have a DIFFERENT phone that you can use for TESTING?
A regular "corded" phone would be preferred, and the TEST would be to disconnect the main phone line from the base unit if your system and plug the corded phone into the same phone jack - to see if you can get a dial tone with the corded phone, and be able to make and receive calls.

Can you try that for me?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to change the phone receptacles, changed the batteries from the working phones to none working-still does not work. It is in the phones somewhere and two went out at the same time. Could I have done something in the menu?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

I think we are having a bit of trouble communicating here - with the phrases and terms we are using - which appear to be different. So let me send you a diagram that has some terms on it, that show a "typical" Panasonic system.

graphic

You will note that the components are labeled:
- Main Base Unit (the part of the system that plugs into the phone line)
- Handset(s) - these are the cordless handsets (that contain the batteries).
- Charging Stands (this is where the "remote" handsets are left when not in use).

Now that I have explained the TERMS that I use, let me also ask the AGE of the batteries that you have in these handsets?

From what you have explained, it sounds like these batteries MAY be more than 1.5 to 2 years old. If that is the case, then that may be the issue. I say this because each handset and battery has different characteristics, and an older battery may work in one handset, but not another. So swapping two OLD batteries - no matter the level of charge, may NOT help fix the problem.

So if these batteries are older than 2 years, then the first thing I would do is replace ONE of the batteries in the FAILING handset with a NEW battery, and then CHARGE the new battery for AT LEAST 5-6 hours. Then I would reset the system - as detailed below. This will give the new battery a chance to charge and should "re-sync" the handset to the main base unit.

If this works for the ONE NEW battery in the handset, then the next step is to get new batteries for the rest of the handsets, and allow them to charge too. This should extend the life of your system for at least 1.5 to 2 years.

Cordless system "reset" procedure.
This is done by following the steps below.
============================
1) Remove the batteries from ALL handsets in the system.
2) Remove the phone cord from the main base unit AND the phone jack in the wall.
3) Remove the AC power adapter plug from the main base unit AND remove the AC adapter from the power outlet.
4) WAIT 15 minutes. This allows any "stuck" conditions in the components to clear.
5) Reconnect the batteries in all handsets.
6) Reconnect the phone cord between the main base and the phone jack in the wall.
7) Reconnect the AC power adapter plug in the main base unit and then plug the AC adapter into the wall power outlet.
8) Wait 30-60 seconds for the system to reinitialize.
9) Test each handset for proper function.
10) Test each function of the main base unit (answering system, caller id, etc.).
============================

Please give these things a try and let me know your results. And please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I have to run an errand, but will check back on your results when I get back.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are brilliant! Sorry it took me so long, I am in a big 2 story house with a broken foot. Everything is working properly.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for letting me know that worked for you.

Please let me know if you have more questions in the future.

And please take a moment if you haven't already to rate my service (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.

Thanks again, Greg A.