Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

My RCA Vi Sys phone says replace battery - which has been done

My RCA Vi Sys phone says replace battery - which has been done several times with brand new batteries
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask the AGE of this phone system and when this issue first began?

May I also ask what TYPE of batteries you have installed in the system, and if there is or was any "dirt" or "corrosion" seen on the contacts where the batteries are installed?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About 5 years old, installed Energiser Industrial AAA batteries which are the same as the original batteries installed. Contacts are clean with no sign of corrosion. Problem just started. Phone works but some function like line in use if another extension is used does not light up. Also memory does not retain if power lost.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.

Sorry for the delay - I had a bit of trouble accessing the site.

From what it sounds like to me is that there could be some "contact" problem - with the batteries and the system.

May I ask if you actually "cleaned" the contacts where the batteries are installed OR if you can notice if any ONE of the batteries appears to be "loose" when installed?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just had a good look. Contacts are shiny clean and springs hold all batteries tight in the socket, need to use a screwdriver to push battery against spring to remove cannot pull them out with fingers. When pushed in the pip on the +ve end of the battery snaps into place.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - may I ask if you happen to have a voltmeter - that you can use to TEST the batteries when the are installed in the system?

I am assuming that these are brand new batteries, but from what you report it has all the signs of bad batteries or bad contacts.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they are brand new batteries and test good with a Fluke 97 DVM. I have actually tried two sets of batteries as I thought they may be dropping when loaded but with same result. I measure 6.15 V across the pack when inserted into the phone, measured on the phone contacts.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Well is sounds like you have done all the tests correctly and the voltage IS making it to the contacts.

So that just leaves the wiring within the device OR an internal failure.

Now I just did a quick check on this particular model, and I don't see these systems readily available at the typical places I usually see them (Amazon, office supply stores) IF they are in stock. I mention this because there are very few shop that actually offer to repair the system.

May i ask if you have a "spare" system that you can use - while looking for a replacement system? And is it your intention to try and get an EXACT model replacement, or are you open to a different make & model?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can just shop around for another one that has the features I want. I was hoping you would know a key sequence to clear this error. I will give RCA support a call and if no joy will open phone to check internal connections. If it is internal failure it would likely not be cost effective to repair.

I service high end CT & MRI systems in hospitals all over so am very familiar with electronics. But most devices have hidden codes to reset stuff these days which is great if you can find the code. If this phone does not have that then it must have failed or have a loose internal connection.

Thanks.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

That's so very sophisticated stuff, and it must be a very interesting profession. I used to build and install very expensive "automatic test equipment" - use by most if the IC manufacturers, but that was some time ago.

And yes, these "small office" systems are not really cost effective to repair. Now you MAY be able to find a local "repair shop" that has a "refurbished" unit of the same type - if you really like this model, but if course you would want to test it before making any commitment to purchase it. So "new" (with a warranty) is probably the best idea.

Please let me know your find results and what you decide on. And please let me know if you have more questions. I'm here almost every day.

Take Care, Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Oh - one more thing: There is no "programming" or key sequence that I am aware of that wil clear this condition.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found a similar phone model 25214RE1 at Staples for $80.00. Not worth going with used.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Very good. Its always nice to have the warranty you get with a new system.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX