Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.

Panasonic kx-tg6421e not ringing when receiving incoming calls

Customer Question

Panasonic kx-tg6421e not ringing when receiving incoming calls (3 handsets none ring) have checked ringtone and volume on each which is set ok. can you explain why not ringing-other phones in house do ring for incoming calls
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer/pearl, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question, and remember you are rating me personally, not the negative rating, please withhold your rating and let me know so I may either close your question or find you another expert to work with. A negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

Does the panasonic base unit ring at all?

p0llinate :

Can you tell me the model of your base (what you provided is the handsets)?

Customer:

no the base unit does not ring either

p0llinate :

Thanks for the info, could you tell me the model of the base please?

Customer:

No the base unit also does not ring, the model is KX-TG6423ES

p0llinate :

If you hear one of the other phones in the home ring, can you answer on the panasonic handsets?

Customer:

Yes they work for both incoming and outgoing calls

p0llinate :

Ok, so if it isn't ringing, and you've checked the ringer tone/volume settings, this leaves 2 possibilities,

p0llinate :

either the system is on a silent mode, or there is some hardware failure in the base, preventing it from detecting the incoming call voltage (or perhaps there is a problem with the wall jack/line the base is plugged into).

p0llinate :

Do you see a little logo on the handset display like "Zzz"?

Customer:

No there is no logo like that showing on any of the handsets

p0llinate :

Ok, then it isn't on silent mode, which means this may be a hardware problem, or that the ringer tone/volume settings aren't being saved/recognized.

p0llinate :

This type of symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

p0llinate :

If this doesn't help, try switching the base with one of the other phones that does ring properly, and see if the problem follows.

Customer:

ok will try this and get back to you, thanks so far

p0llinate :

You're welcome, let me know how it works out.

Customer:

unplugged one of the working phones which was connected to teh same jack plug as the base unit this appears to have solved the problem, as when I plug it back in the problem reappears, abviously have a problem with the other phone

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Residential and commercial systems.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter, what I'd suspect in this case then is not a problem with either phone, but that this wall jack may be at the end of the wiring run, or otherwise just not have enough voltage to power/trigger the ringer with sufficient voltage when shared with 2 phones. Hopefully you can relocate one of the phones to another jack, otherwise getting the lines repaired by an engineer is your best bet.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter,

I just wanted to follow up and see if you've had any luck with getting the line repaired, or with relocating the base to another jack?

Should you have any other questions, feel free to get back in touch. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, and have a good day,