Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Residential and commercial systems.

Can not stop static on my XDECT R055 phone

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome to justanswer/pearl, a pay site for expert technical help. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question, and remember you are rating me personally, not the negative rating, please withhold your rating and let me know so I may either close your question or find you another expert to work with. A negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the uniden,

p0llinate :

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets, does this happen with all of them? Are there other phones outside of this system in the building that are working properly.
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

Customer: Happes on all 3 sets. No other phones to compare with. Purchased fromHarvey N. No DSL
p0llinate :

Thank you for the information,

p0llinate :

This symptom can indicate either a problem with the line (phone company equipment or the wiring in your home) OR a hardware failure in the base station (since the issue happens with all handsets). We most often see this type of damage to the base unit as the result of a power surge, either through the phone or power lines.

The one thing you may attempt yourself is to fully reset the system:
1) unplug both power and phone lines from the main base.
2) remove batteries from all handsets
3) wait at least 15 minutes, then restore all
4) place a handset on the main base for a minute, as if to charge
5) check for functionality.

If the problem persists after this, it confirms a hardware failure which would require repairs to correct. Unfortunately once the 1 year warranty is up, repairs are not practical, and the base alone cannot be replaced. The most economical option in this case is to replace the entire system. The new models on the market use a DECT6 frequency which is far superior in cordless range and sound quality to the older systems. A comparable replacement can be found for $50-100, depending how many handsets you’d like. If you can tell me a bit more about your needs (number of handsets, answering machine required or not), I’ll be happy to recommend a suitable replacement model for you.

Customer: Only just purchased the phones. $280.00 No power surge.
p0llinate :

Surges can happen with no other evidence of it. If the phone is new, you should first test another phone not part of the uniden system, to isolate a problem with the line. If the other phone works, then there is some failure in the uniden system. In that event, your best recourse would be to return the system to Harvey and get them to exchange it for you.

Customer: Ta
p0llinate :

Ta?

p0llinate :

Still with me?

Customer: Yes
Nathan, Technician
Experience: Residential and commercial systems.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack, sorry I lost touch with you earlier, it looks like the live chat may have been malfunctioning as well as I'm in the US on a different time zone. Did you have a chance to complete the reset steps I mentioned, or to test a different phone system?