Dustin, Technician
Experience:  I Have been working with Magicjack, Skype, And Gtalk since the early days of VOIP.
19897260

i have a vonage app on my cell phone. when i am in europe

Customer Question

i have a vonage app on my cell phone. when i am in europe can i use the app to call to north america and what would be the cost? are there any cell charges with such a call?
Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you today!

This is from Vonage.

Can I make calls from the Extensions Mobile app when I am not in the U.S.?
While it is possible to use Extensions outside of the U.S., it is not recommended because Extensions works by dialing a U.S. access number. The call to the U.S. access number incurs long distance charges from any phone carrier and other fees such as roaming charges from your mobile carrier.

So, if you call North America from Europe with the vonage app, your still making a long distance call.

However, Im familiar with another system that Can and will work.

First, create a gmail account ( its free)

Then, on your computer go to google voice.. Now create a google voice account, pick a US phone number, and then register your current cell phone number with google voice. ( Its a quick process and google guides you through each step)

Once registered.

Now on your phone, go to the market and download the google voice app.

Now, install the app. The app will sign into your gmail account you created, that your google voice account is based off of.

Now, tell it that when you make a phone call, to ask you everytime you make a call.

Let me explain what we just did, and how this is going to help you.

When you go to Europe, and you make a call, choose to use google voice.

Now, your phone is going to use your data connection to connect to gmail / google voice, and its going to place the call that way..

No International call charges as long as your calling North America

However, if your phone service charges you for international DATA roaming, then your paying charges.. So how do you make a completely free google voice call with your phone will in Europe. Sign onto a Wifi network with your phone.. That way, you are not paying data charges to your Cell phone company.

So, once you sign onto a wifi network, and you have now avoided the data charges.

Now make a call using google voice, and your not paying data charges, or long distance charges. But keep in mind, this only works when calling TO north america. Not calling any number outside of North America.

I know this isnt the Vonage app, but its easy to set up and provides free calling to North America from anywhere in the world where you can connect to wifi...

If you have any questions, let me know.

Please remember to rate the effectiveness of the answer given before you go, as thats the only way it shows whether or not I was able to help you. Remember that in some cases you cant always repair or solve the issue, and in those cases getting a correct answer to your question is the best solution possible. If you feel like leaving a one or two star rating please contact me first so I can try and resolve the issue in a more effective manner.

Thanks, D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get my follow up.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
This is the first follow up I got from you.

Just a message asking if I got your follow up... Please resend whatever message you had sent, thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why can I not use vonage when connected to wi fi to do the same thing as google voice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why can't I use vonage when it's connected to wi fi. It should work the same as google voice
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Because, The Vonage app, actually dials a US access number.. Meaning, the second you use it, its going to charge you an international call back to the USA on your cell phone bill.

The call then would call out from the USA vonage access number, and then go out to whatever country you called and your vonage rates would apply, right on top of the Europe to North america call.. So youd in effect be being charged twice.

Once by your phone company when the Vonage app dialed the US access number.

And then again by vonage if you called any number that Vonage normally charges you to call.

Google voice app works differently.. IT does not use normal phone methods to dial, its completely done by IP.. ( which uses the data package, or wifi if your connected to wifi)

Remember, this small paragraph is from Vonage about the Vonage app

This is from Vonage.

I hope that clarifies things.. Remember, if you want completely free calling from Europe to North america,

Create a gmail account, then create a google voice account, register the google voice account to a US phone number.

Then, anytime you call to the US from any country, as long as your using the google voice app, and as long as your on free wifi , the call is free.

Dustin, Technician
Experience: I Have been working with Magicjack, Skype, And Gtalk since the early days of VOIP.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to get google voice but it is not available in Canada I tried vonage again and they said that if I'm on wi fi then there are no costs. Anything else that I could do?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
If your on Wifi in North America, there are no costs.

Even on vonages site for the phone app, it says there will be charges to call home..

Though, maybe they updated the app to run on wifi , so it doesnt dial the access number.

Since I do not work at vonage or did not help develop the app, I can only tell you what is seen on the vonage support site regarding the app. And it says that the app will charge for calls back to North America.

I would seek some clairication from them, asking specifically.

If I am overseas in Europe, and I use your APP connected to wifi, will my phone company charge me when the Vonage app dials the North American Access number in order to connect to the Vonage servers.

I would ask them that statement specifically, and let me know what they say. If they say something different then what is on their website, then A friendly reminder from them to update their own website would be in order!