Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics for 25+ years.
5229702

Why am I not able to make calls? Phone says - line in use

Customer Question

My phone screen says "Line in use" and I can't make calls or receive calls.

Category: Phone Systems
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,
Can you tell me the Make & Model of your phone system? The model number should be printed on the bottom of the main base unit.
Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Panasonic cordless model No. KX-TGA931T. I have 5 cordless phones.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Ok - Please look on the MAIN BASE UNIT - the one that actually plugs into the phone jack and let me know what the model says there. It should have a format of KX-TG9xxx (the KX-TGAyyyy is for the handsets).
Also, do you have ANY other devices, such as computers or other "wired" phones, plugged into the phone jacks - even in other rooms in your home?
Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

KX-TG9341T

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for that information.
The "line in use" message indicated that the main base unit "thinks" that there is a call in progress, or in other words, that the phone line is busy. That is why I asked about ANY other devices connected to ANY other phone jacks in your home.
If you do have ANY other devices attached to the phone jacks in your home, I would start by finding and disconnecting ALL device attached around your home. Often some long forgotten device will "pick up" the phone line and not disconnect. This keeps the phone line "busy" and prevents calls going out or coming in.
Another step you can take is disconnect the MAIN BASE UNIT from the phone jack and leave it disconnected for a few minutes (3 should be enough). Then, call your home phone number (from a cell phone if you have one, or perhaps a neighbor's home), and see what happens. If the phone line is available, then you should hear the phone ring (in the phone making the call). If that works, reconnect the main base unit to the phone jack and try again.
Please give that a try and let me know what you see and hear. Try to give me as many details as you can, as there may be other steps to take to isolate this issue.
Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That didn't work.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Can you please be a little more detailed?
For example, did you find ANY other devices attached to ANY other phone jacks in your home?
Did you disconnect EVERYTHING attached to ALL the phone jacks in your home, then wait a few minutes and try to call your home number (from a cell phone)?
If so, what were the exact results?
Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing is connected to any of the other phone jacks. When I called my number I received a busy signal.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

OK - Very good.
Now let me just verify that you have ALSO disconnect the main base unit of the Panasonic system from the phone jack; so that you have NOTHING connected to ANY phone jack in your home. Is that correct?
If that is the case, then you have an issue with the phone line itself. The proper response when calling any home (or business) that has a working phone line, but no phone attached would be for that phone line to appear to ring & ring over & over - not a busy signal.
Please let me know if that is the case.
Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I disconnected the main base unit from the phone jack and called the number and I got a busy signal again.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,
If that is the case, then the issue is with the main phone line coming in from your service provider. This assumes that you have not changed anything since the last time the phone worked, or that you are sharing a phone line with another home.
This means that you should try to contact your phone company's "Repair Service" department immediately. This is not the "business office" that is only open during normal hours. The Repair Service of most providers is available at all hours of the day or night, because you have a line failure (line is stuck "busy"). If you can, contact them immediately so that the issue can be addressed as soon as possible.
Please let me know what happens or if you have more questions.
Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I called the phone company and it must be something internal with the phone line; so we are going to call a repair man.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 years ago.

Please let me know what they find out.
Thanks