Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa
38494804

I am going to doctor tomorrow. I have been prescribed ambien

Customer Question

Hi! I am going to doctor tomorrow. I have been prescribed ambien for sleep just started taking it yesterday. I have been suffering from digestive stuff for a week and I think I have gerd. Will ambien make it worse. Don't know what to do cuz I want to sleep buf don't want to make gerd worse
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: naturethyroid. . Ambien since last night
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: went to er cuz thought I was having heart stuff. Have insomnia due to hormone stuff. Now I m realizing that heart stuff was digestive habe been to doc but they set up a cardiology appt and gave me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm DrMike - a pharmacist with over 20 yrs experience. I'm looking at you question just now...

What other medications are you taking at this time? And what other diagnoses or situations are you dealing with?

Without knowing exactly the answers to the above questions, I can still make some generalizations before you go to see your prescriber.
Ambien (zolpidem) will not likely make any GI or stomach or GERD issues worse (that would happen in perhaps 1 of 200 people). It can, however, make it difficult for you to awaken - so it may well make it harder to awaken if you might be having other medical issues while sleeping. (That is, you may not wake up nearly as easily...)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am on thyroid meds. And have bouts of insomnia hormone related. I went to er on dec 26 with chest pangs and elevated heart rate started taking Xanax for sleep and ate light meals was feeling better!!!Went to doc when I got home and they referred me
To cardiologist and prescribed trazadone. I took trazadone and was up all night. Took it on empty stomach and am now realizing that messed me up even more. I am now understanding it's because I have gerd or reflux. Sour taste in mouth lump in throat messed up stomach
I want to sleep tonight but am
Afraid to take ambien
Or Xanax
Don't want it to make gerd worse
Any suggestions

"No.", I would not be very concerned at all about Ambien and stomach or gastrointestinal issues - the likelihood is very low.

If you can sleep slightly elevated, that would be potentially beneficial... (a pillow or two behind your head or back, or a block or two underneath the head of your bed even). TUMS or Mylanta before bed ofcourse... and/or another antacid. No food for at least 2 hrs before bed. A calming environment to sleep in...
All of these can help with GERD.

Melatonin?? If you haven't tried it, 5-10mg 30 min before bed can be beneficial for sleep, esp in "oldering" patients like myself. (Little to no drug interactions with that one... and it's Over-the-Counter).

Let me know if you need further assist... I think this should address your concerns for now.
Please do click the "Accept" button if you are satisfied at this time - I am here, otherwise, if you need further clarification. -DrMike!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! I would like to know if I am in full flare up with gerd which is better to take for sleep Xanax or ambien
Which is less irritating to tummy
Scared cuz my stomach is so sensitive right now don't want to make itnworse
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have melatonin but it's not enough to help right now

Ambien would be the better alternative in that situation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!!!!

You're very welcome... I hope it turns out for you.

I'm here if you need.
Please hit the Accept button if you've no further questions at this time - That will bring this session to an end.
Again, I wish you the best. -DrMike