rx_lauren
rx_lauren, Doctor of Pharmacy
Experience:  I have been a pharmacist for 13 years. Practice areas include retail, hospital, and long term care.
75596446

Does valsartan contain lactose or glutens, new meds started

Customer Question

does valsartan contain lactose or glutens
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: new meds started two days ago valsartan and indapamide
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: 81mg aspirin allopurinol 200mg omeprazole 20mg atorvastatin 20mgezetimibe 10mg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: allergic to celecoxib
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  rx_lauren replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, thank you for your question. Valsartan can potentially contain lactose as an inactive ingredient. This means that lactose can be used to "hold" the medication together. It depends on the individual manufacturer. For an exact answer, your best bet is to contact the pharmacy that dispensed it for you and ask them to check the package insert of the medication. Or, if it is a brand new medication for you, ask the pharmacy to check before it is dispensed. Different manufacturers of generic medications are required by law to contain the exact same active ingredients, but inactive ingredients can vary. I did find that Sandoz brand does contain lactose, my assumption would be that others do as well, but best to check on the specific one you would be getting. Thank you and good luck!