Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

What type of cough suppressant can one take who is on a

Customer Question

what type of cough suppressant can one take who is on a MAOI? Thank you.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Cough began about a week ago, seemed to be the seasonal cold/flu variety. By the way we are speaking of an 85 yr old, with hx of colorectal cancer. Has headache, but recovering from other symptoms of aching and fatigue.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

The following cough suppressants are safe to use with MAOIs: Benzonatate (Tessalon) and Vicks VapoRub.

There are a number of other options like Diphenhydramine, Chlorpheniramine, and prescription cough syrups. These can be used with MAOIs, but with caution due to additive sedation.

You will want to avoid anything that has dextromethorphan in it, as this interacts with MAOIs.

Do you have follow-up questions? I am happy to help:)
Regards,

Dr. Bridget