Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

Is it safe to take sudafed 12 hr for congestion when your

Customer Question

Is it safe to take sudafed 12 hr for congestion when your also taking Paxil 30mg?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I'm only allgeric to sulfa drugs. I only take Paxil 30mg daily
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it is OK to take these two medications together, and there are no worries with your allergy. (However, do avoid the OTC cough suppressant dextromethorphan, which can lead to a condition called Serotonin Syndrome if taken with Paxil).
Again, Thank you for the question - -DrMike

Sudafed is often combined with other drugs such as the dextromethorphan for cough, guaifenesin for chest congestion, antihistamines for runny nose and watery eyes... but the real one to watch out for is the dextromethorphan.
That's the one that can really lead to a rare but significant interaction called Serotonin Syndrome. -DrMike

(This appears to be a duplicate question of one that was previously asked - I will have the moderators remove it, if this is the case.)

Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 1 month ago.

I would like to add that Sudafed should not be used if you have any history of high blood pressure or certain heart conditions. Hopefully this fully answers your question Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.