Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

Taking sufla antibiotics without destroying mucosal gut

Customer Question

Taking sufla antibiotics without destroying mucosal gut bacteria populations. After doing one year of work to restore gut flora and bacteria in an elderly client, she was prescribed sulfamethoxadole after a routine check up at the gyn. Her symptoms are asymptomatic and urination is more than 6 times a day so she is not dehydrated. Her urine dip stick tests come out negative for Leukocites but positive for nitrites. She does have a dropped bladder and refuses to wear a pessary except for occassionally. THe gyn said it is ok to not use the pessary, as long as certain protocols are followed which i won't go into here.
So how to admin the antibiotic without having it destroy a years worth of work to repopulate the gut?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 4 months ago.

I would suggest a probiotic 3 times per day while on the antibiotic to help repopulate the good gut bacteria. Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But i have learned that repopulating the gut is very difficult because the good bacteria needs to get into the mucosal lining which is difficult especially that probiotics don't have a good history of surviving once in the stomach and die off with digestive acids...
. Anything else such as how and when to take the probiotics or anything else to combat the antibiotics or to ensure the probiotics work,,, please input.... AS well as provide any links that prove the efficacy of this defense to damage done by antibiotics. If you feel there might be another category which this might be better answered, please redirect it. Otherwise please provide more input and data because i have to be convincing of my remedy to the particular persons involved.

There are several studies showing that probiotics will do just what you are asking about. I would recommend a refrigerated probiotic such as Floragen or Lactinex as they have live active cultures. You do not need another category for you answer as it is common knowledge in the medical field that these probiotics are proven to work.

Checking back to see if you need any further assistance with your question. If you do not require any further answers please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you clarify or find data on this: But do those probiotics have all the strains because my understanding from skimming here and there for various sources, is that we need more bacteria than we think. The more bacteria the better so to speak. One guy is doing research on himself and swallowing worms and poop pills. IBS symptoms disappear in people that ingest these worms. Freaky stuff...!
bacteria has to get into the mucous lining. Otherwise it just dies... If the mucous lining is destroyed, the probiotics won't populate the gut.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We don't have issues with diarreah except for rarely with one senior male if he over eats. We have what could mount to chronic constipation with one female 80. Have not been able to produce daily bowel movements so I'm trying to focus closely to get the framework of her body working better.

One can infer that reducing the amount of antibiotic associated diarrhea is due to probiotics mechanism of restoring gut bacteria.