Ashley Mires
Ashley Mires,
Experience:  Internist at Chest & Critical Care Consultants
94080274

Been on prozac 20 mg and .5 mg xanax xr in am and 1 mg at

Customer Question

been on prozac 20 mg and .5 mg xanax xr in am and 1 mg at night for 3 weeks, for panic attacks , g.a.d. and depression. could not stay a sleep kept waking up at 2-3 am. sp meds changes to 20 mg cymbalta twice a day and klonipin .5 in am and 1mg night been sleeping longer, what side effects can i expect from each med change and how long.
also since prozax takes 3-4 weeks to start working and 6-8 for full effect will cymbalta pick up where prozac left off. or will i have to wait 3-4 weeks for cymbalta to kick in and how long for full effect, please give details and advice
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Ashley Mires replied 1 month ago.

My name is*****'m a doctor specializing in internal medicine and I'm here to help you with your question today.

I would give Cymbalta a full month to take it's full effect, even when transitioning from Prozac. There should not be many (if any) side effects between transition from Xanax XR to Klonopin the way that you did, since the dosages were nearly the same and they are both benzodiazepines. If Prozac was not working for you, Cymbalta may help you, but my guess is that you won't notice much of a difference at all.