Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa
38494804

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 7. My teacher suggested

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 7. My teacher suggested to my parents I get tested because I had difficulty focusing and turning in homework on time along with having difficulty listening. I was on 20 mg of Ritalin in my adolescence up until 20 years old. I haven't taken it the past 10 years because wanted to go without it and see if I could try safer alternatives. I've tired diet and exercise, meditating...nothing seems to work long enough. So I've made the decision to go back on medication but try something different this time. Do you have any suggestions? And if so, how/can I get a prescription again? Thank you for your time.
Sincerely, Samantha
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Samantha! And, thanks for your question. I'm DrMike, a pharmacist with over 20 year’s experience, and I'm glad to help you today. I’ll just take some time while I review your question and get back to you with a response. I may have some initial questions for you…

Yes, there are definitely several alternatives. Since you were diagnosed so early in life, insurance may even cover it. Most don't about the age of 20-25. There are many medications alternatives.

*Methylphenidate type meds (Ritalin, Metadate, Concerta, Daytrana - which is a patch)

*Amphetamine type meds (Adderall, Vyvanse, Dexedrine...)

* Non-stimulant (Strattera)

But getting a new prescription will requirre a visit to some sort of prescriber (nurse practitioner, physician, physician's assistant). You may have to be re-evaluated as well.

I believe this should address your original concerns. However, if you would like additional information simply reply, and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If you feel satisfied, kindly Accept and Rate and give feedback on my services with you.
-DrMike

(I'm going to add a couple things here. The Vyvanse is a safer alternative to the stimulant meds, but it comes with its own potential side effects. These are mainly GI related, stomach upset, constipation, etc). It may also take longer to fully work, perhaps several weeks.

Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that is sometimes also used.) -Dr Mike

Thanks again for the question, and ask away if you need to!

.