Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa

I had an allergy attack on Tuesday of last week. Since I

Customer Question

I had an allergy attack on Tuesday of last week. Since I have been ill and taking my cetrizine and Zyrtec D at home, I have not had a chance to be seen for an Antibiotic. The last one I had was Augmentin, and I am running out of that, because I only had 4 of them left. ( they were Rx, and pretty strong 800 mg) so that is why I had a few left. I usually need the antibiotic because my sinuses tend to get infected. Is there a lesser, cheaper version of this antibiotic that I can get at Meijer or another store, who would fill a Rx for free?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications? The Pharmacist's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I take the ceitrizine daily, and the zyrtec D, only when I am having trouble like now. I also take Prozac daily and some muscle relaxer, due to having cramps in my legs.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am taking cholesterol medicine and medicine for ulceric symptoms.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 11 days ago.

Hello! And, thanks for your question. I'm DrMike, a pharmacist with over 20 year’s experience, and I'm glad to help you today. I’ll just take some time while I review your question and get back to you with a response. I may have some initial questions for you…

So, as I understand your question, you're wanting to know if there is a cheaper alternative to the Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate).

Do you have any insurance or use any discount cards or programs? Or do you pay straight out of pocket... DrMike

If you have no insurance or do not use any discounts, there are some options. You and I take many of the same medications, and one of mine is not covered by my own insurance. I would direct you to the following website that I have found has given me the best discounts:

I would try that first to see what sort of price reduction you can get on your generic Augmentin.

Also, there are definitely alternative antibiotics that you can resort to. azithromycin, doxycycline, erythromycin, Bactrim (SMX/TMP), and a few others which I think would be more expensive.

An additional source of medication assistance might also be your county. Many/most have General Assistance programs that will cover the full cost of your medications. Ofcourse, you'll have to supply income info, etc, but I have many patients that are not able to afford their medications and use this route.

I have checked some of the prices of these medications, and the cheapest (azithromycin) at $12 or so would be a nice alternative pricewise. As well, many of these medications are on some pharmacies "$4 List". (The type that WalMart, Kmart etc use)

I believe this should address your original concerns. However, if you would like additional information simply Reply, and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If you feel satisfied, kindly Accept and Rate and give feedback on my service so that I might better address future questions. I do wish you all the best... -DrMike

(On a side note... You're take ZyrtecD and cetirizine (which is generic Zyrtec). So, essentially, you're double dosing on the Zyrtec, and that can cause some problems itself. I don't know if the "D"econgestant part of your ZyrtecD is pseudoephedrine or a less effective decongestant. Pseudoephedrine is only available behind the counter (you have to sign for it and show an ID) or by prescription.
So... I would cut back on the Zyrtec by half, and ensure that the decongestant you're taking is pseudoephedrine and not some lesser decongestant.)

Use the decongestant only when necessary. It's ok to use the antihistamine Zyrtec daily.
I hope this helps and you feel better sooner! -DrMike

Please let me know if you have further concerns or need additional clarification. I'm happy to assist! -DrMike

Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 9 days ago.

I see you haven't been able to view my response for several days, but I'd like you to know that I'm still available to review your case. Please let me know when I can assist. -DrMike