Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa
38494804

Have started klonolopin three days ago. Tonight I feel

Customer Question

Have started klonolopin three days ago. Tonight I feel nausea no appetite and stuffy nose. Just don't feel well could it be from the drug
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: Just today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No Just all of a sudden no appetite for me very unusual. Haven't eaten since breakfast. I have no appetite and am having ginger ale. Also feel a little dizzy. Not myself
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm DrMike, a pharmacist with over 20 years experience. I'm happy to assist you, and I'm reviewing your case now. I will have a few questions for you.

The symptoms that you mention could definitely be associated with this medication, especially given the onset of symptoms being so close to the time you started taking the medication. For what diagnosis are you taking the lorazepam, and are you taking any other medications? And, what dose of lorazepam are you taking?

Lorazepam remains in the body for about 3 days once discontinued. Since you have not been on it long at all, simply discontinuing it is an option. Cutting the dose in half (splitting or biting the pill) might allow your body to acclimate and adjust more gradually and avoid or decrease some of these symptoms. It can then be gradually increased to your prescribed dose (also gradually, if you like... say, increase it to full dose every other day for a week, then up to the full dose daily).

I take this medication myself, and I can say from personal experience that it can take some time to adjust. I would give the medication 2 weeks (perhaps at a reduced dose as mentioned above) before discontinuing. The symptoms you list could also be similar to a simple viral or bacterial infection. 2 weeks should be plenty of time to resolve either of these situations.

This should address your original question, but please feel free to ask if you need further clarification. My goal is to give you the best experience. Please let me know if I can help further.
-DrMike

(I should add for the record, if your situation does not resolve within this timeframe or is excessively disruptive to your lifestyle, contact your prescriber) -DrMike

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is lorazapam the same as klonolopin

Lorazepam is Ativan, Klonopin is clonazepam. They are both in the same class of medications (benzodiazepines) and would have similar side effect profiles. Klonopin (clonazepam) may take a little longer to act and stays in the system for a much longer time (a week, more or less depending).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just vomited and had a bit of diareeah and have the child. Feel very shaky and stomach gurgling. Was wondering if it could be klonolopin that I took last night about midnight.

I'm inclined to point fingers, if I have to point fingers, more at a viral infection than medication side effects.
Still it is possible for either. It becomes borderline 'prescribing' if I tell you to take your medication differently than originally prescribed, but myself, I would lay low on the medication, and if not better in the morning, call your prescriber. Likely they will tell you the same. sound advice, regardlress. But, you may also get med's to handle your nausea and other symptoms. I do sincerely ***** ***** feel better sooner... I know what you are going through.
-DrMike