Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

Have taken Adderall for years. Prescribing practice

Customer Question

Have taken Adderall for years. Prescribing practice (psychiatrist whose office, I discontinued, due to doctor retiring) gave me two week courtesy script. Filled on 9/25. Unable to become established at new psychiatrist office in time, have a second perscription from PCP. Pharmacy said it couldn't be refilled until 10/11. Going out of town, but regardless, I should've been able to fill new script on 10/08, contradictory to insurance Co date to fill. Pharmacist wrote "fill on 10/11 on script". Will that hand written note prevent me from going to a different pharmacy and paying cash?? If so, is that legal???
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 months ago.

It is not illegal for the pharmacist to write a note like that on a prescription. It will most likely make it very difficult for you to fill the prescription unless you have another pharmacy call the physician who wrote the prescription and get the physicians approval to fill it over the phone. Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The local pharmacy/pharmacist who wrote the note, I am a regular customer there and do not wish to tarnish the relationship....however, calling physician not an option (she doesn't believe in Adderall and was reluctant to write it, at all) Therefore, is there any chance that if I return to local Rite Aid and explained going out of town, willingness to pay cash, etc, is it possible for the pharmacist to scratch through his hand written note & initial? Is that possible and do you predict whether or not they'd be willing?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fact is, I have a new valid script from different doctor so despite insurance denial to fill, seems illegal that it could be denied if I am paying cash. Furthermore, would it be possible for that same pharmacy to fill because I am paying cash??

Sorry for the delay as I had retired for the evening to sleep. To answer your question it is completely up to the pharmacist if they will or will not fill the prescription early on cash. It is not illegal to do so however most pharmacist will not do so if the prescription rejects on insurance unless the physician who wrote the prescription allows for the early fill. When there are two physicians involved the pharmacists is highly likely to call the second physician to let them know the prescription is being filled early and ask approval to do so. Since there is a note written on the prescription from another pharmacist another pharmacy most likely will not fill it without talking to the physician. My question for you is despite you going out of town do you have enough medicine to last until 10-11-16 if so you can take your current prescription with you on vacation (if in the US) and fill it wherever you go.

If you have further question feel free to ask. Once you are satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks

I see you have had time to review our conversation. Do you need any further assistance?

I you need no further assistance I would really appreciate you for rating my answer. Thanks again.