Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa

My husband was in the hospital for severe food poisoning and

Customer Question

Hello! My husband was in the hospital for severe food poisoning and the flu while in Cancun, MX. To be reimbursed for our expenses, our insurance company needs to US equivalent NDC number. I tried to find it in my own, but we were only reimbursed $30 bc I didn't have them correct. Could someone help me out with the NDC numbers? I I tried the websites but couldn't figure out the correct dosages.
Mexican: bonadoxina 25/50mg oral 2 (is medozine the us equivalent?)
Mexican: G ahorro ciprofloxacino 500mg
Mexican: Floratil 250mg oral 12 c (Florastor us equivalent possibly)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a picture of the full receipt if that would help. I'll add it. The most important is the NDC numbers for the prescriptions.
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thanks for the question. I'm DrMike, a pharmacist with over 20 years experience and am glad to assist you today.

This will be a bit of a Sherlock Holmes situation, but I'll do my best to assist! I do understand your question, and you've provided a good starting point. Let me look over the information you've provided, and I'll see what I can come up with.
I may need to ask you some further questions... -DrMike

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great, thank you! I'm just guessing on the us equivalents, it's all i could find. I've spent some time investigating it myself, so it may be a dead end. I wasn't sure if there was an easy reference guide available to pharmacists that provides the equivalents.

Well, speaking a bit of Spanish is surprisingly of great help! (I'm glad I chose that instead of French... very impracticable, those French).

My first guesses are doxycyline (or some -cycline), Cipro (ciprofloxacin), and Flagyl (metronidazole)... off the top of my balding head. Looking further...

How many, do you remember of each med did he get? For how long and what was the regimen (once a day for this, twice a day for that...)

This will assist you as well to get maximal reimbursement from the insurance company...

Ok, Bonadoxina I have discerned. It's for nausea/vomiting and is not available in the US. It's simply liquid combination of Antivert (meclizine 25mg) and Vit B-12 (pyridoxine 50mg), both of which are available OTC (and may well not be reimbursable because of that. There would be no equivalent NDC (US National Drug Code) here in the States.

We'll skip the Lemon Vick's Lozenges.
The 2nd is indeed ciprofloxacin 500mg. There are several NDC codes that one could use (as there are several manufacturers here in the States, and each one would have its own NDC, even though they are all the same drug).

And on the last, it is indeed something similar to Florastor, which again is OTC in both countries and may well not be reimburseable. It, too, would not have an NDC (as it's not prescription). It is a probiotic yeast supplement (Saccharomyces boulardii) 250mg.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thank you! It looks like I'm out of luck, it was the same items I had found - the Florastor was the most expensive. Oh well! Thank you!

And so, some reimburseable NDC's you could use for the ciprofloxacin would be:

0378-7098-01 (that's Mylan manufacturer)

###-##-####01 (West-Ward)###-##-####10 (Rising Pharmaceuticals)

The other two, unfortunately are OTC and do not have NCD codes.

It looks however that you paid about 650 pesos? And that would be between $30-40 USD.

So you might have actually made out better than you think, because, if that is so, the insurance company reimbursed you for the entire receipt of those 3 meds!

I'm sorry we didn't have better luck, but at least we can feel some comfort in knowing!
I know it wasn't the absolute best answer you were looking for, but if you are satisfied, please do Accept and Rate the question. If you do have any further questions regarding this matter, please ask away!
This has been actually a fun little research project. I enjoyed working on it with you. -DrMike

Katie, any of the above NDC numbers should suffice, but I do not think it will result in higher reimbursement than you have already received. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

If you were satisfied with my work, please Accept and Rate. Thank you again for your question!