Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

I am prescribed Nitrofurantoin 100mg tablets to prevent uti

Customer Question

I am prescribed Nitrofurantoin 100mg tablets to prevent uti infections. My dog has had a series of bladder issues as well and just had surgery to remove stones. During surgery a pure urine sample was collected showing a strain of bacteria resistant to most antibiotics. The vet recommended I administer injections of amicacin to my dog. She is very uncomfortable during these injections and it is causing her stress. The vet found out more information about Nitrofurantoin (which he was originally unfamiliar with) and said it was available orally which is better for my pet. He priced a 30 day supply at 25mg a day and quoted me $700 for tablets or $1200 for a liquid suspension. After realizing this is the same medication I take at 100mg I was curious and opened a capsule. I noticed inside there are 3 tablets: two yellow and one orange. What are these different components? And would it be safe to cut/crush and weigh into a smaller 25mg dose for my dog?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 3 months ago.

Can you give me the 10 or 11 digit ndc number or the brand of nitrofurantoin 100mg you were prescribed so I can better answer your question. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see a number like that anywhere.
On the capsule it says MYLAN 3422

ok that is sufficient information let me research this for you and I will have an answer shortly. Thanks.

The 3 tablets in the nitrofurantoin capsule contain different forms of nitrofurantoin (macrocrystalline nitrofurantoin and nitrofurantoin monohydrate). It would be fine to cut/crush and weigh the tablets to get a 25mg dose for your dog. Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

I see you've had time to review my answer. Let me know if you need any further assistance. If you are satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

checking back to see if you need anything further. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.