Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa

Wondering if I should take my 1000mg of depakote ER in the

Customer Question

Wondering if I should take my 1000mg of depakote ER in the morning or evening? I am going back on this for my bi polar. I do not sleep soundly at this point in my life. I want to sleep during the day. Other meds I currently am taking are morphine SR, morphine, Xanax prn, and ambien. I have lost A LOT of weight in last year. Nothing left to lose. I'm at 105. As added bonuses, I'm going back on because an early side effect was rapid weight gain. I balanced out within a year and was quite happy, as I have always been on the thin side! I also experiance excessive headaches, another bonus! I take regular fioricet prn for them. It's all that works other then an er trip for a narcotic pain shot. Please advise.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I'm DrMike, a pharmacist with over 20 years experience, and I'm happy to assist you today!

Your question is whether to take your Depakote ER 1000mg dose morning or evening.

Depakote ER can cause excessive sleepiness, but I have done an extensive review of the literature on this matter including potential drug interactions (it wasn't the easiest of questions!), and most studies do not indicate that the drug was given with regard to morning or evening. This is likely due to the fact that it there is considerable variation in the time it can take to reach peak blood levels (anywhere from 4-17 hours). From these data, it can be concluded that time of day is not be a great factor as to when Depakote ER should be administered (as there really is no best time or worst time, given it's long release).

A great advantage that you already have, is that you have been on this medication previously and can draw from this prior experience. Your medications would not affect the release of the Depakote to any great extent. (As a side note, however, remember to always avoid aspirin... this can cause the Depakote levels to shoot up excessively).

And so, to reiterate, in the general population, it doesn't really matter what time of day to take your Depakote - just a convenient time for you depending on your schedule. Again, you have an advantage over most, as you have been on the medication before. So, you can adjust your Depakote to whatever time suits you best!

Please let me know if you need further clarification on this matter. If you are satisfied with my response, please do Accept and Rate in order for me to evaluate and improve on my services.

I do wish you all the best -DrMike