Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa
38494804

I'm wondering if I can take Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg with

Customer Question

Hi. I'm wondering if I can take Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg with 50 MG Tramadol.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I actually take Trazadone 100mg for sleep usually but I just took one 25mg pill of tramadol and based on research I don't think I should take the Trazadone. I don't have any allergies.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No...I do have sleep apnea and use a cap but that's it
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 3 months ago.

Hello, a couple further questions are needed before we can fully answer your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure, what can I tell yoy5?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are your questions?

Are you or do you take any Over The Counter medications (other than diphenhydramine?)... there are potential interactions with some OTC meds.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, no other OTC meds.

OK, to address the concern you brought, there are no direct interactions between tramadol and diphenhydramine. Both, however, cause drowsiness, excess sleep, potential for confusion, trouble with motor skills, amnesia, and similar issues,(much as say alcohol might do to a person). So, if you are to take them together, do so with caution, and before you go to bed (not during the day ofcourse), no driving, no alcohol, no other sedatives.

Now, I assume you are using the diphenhydramine for sleep. Note that after about 2 weeks, if taken nightly, this effect will diminish or wear off, and you would need to take a 'drug holiday' or time away from it in order for the diphenhydramine to start inducing sleep again. If taken every now and again as needed, this is not a problem.

(One point that I would leave you aware of, is that there is a potential interaction between the tramadol and the trazodone. "Serotonin Syndrome", it's called. Very rare, but can be very serious if it does occur. at all. Not at all likely, given what you have said previously. Dose increases make that possibility greater, so anytime your meds are changed be aware of this. As far as OTC meds, there are a couple that can also increase your risk for Serotonin Syndrome. Those would be dextromethorphan (found in cough/cold remedies), and St John's Wort (found in the vitamin/herbal section). Avoid these. There are more effective and safer alternatives.)

Please Accept and Rate our conversation if this satifies your question so that I may improve my services. If you have further questions regarding this issue, please do ask.
-Dr Mike