Nicholas Merwood
Nicholas Merwood,
Experience:  Pharmacist at Next Step - Drug & Alcohol Office

Should I take Syntra5 with anti-coagulants, I take blood

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Georgina. Should I take Syntra5 with anti-coagulants
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I take blood pressure tablets, Atacand, Lercanidapine, Cardiensiel, Xarelto, and Inexium
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: My health is fairly stable, but I've suffered with hypertension and atrial fibrillation for some years now.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well I had a total hysterectomy, leaving me without ovaries, and also I have had my gall bladder removed.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Nicholas Merwood replied 3 months ago.

Hi Georgina, can you please confirm the contituents in Syntra 5? Are you talking about the supplement that contains vitamin C, biotin and chromium?

Also a proprietary mixture containing various herbal extracts including Garcinia cambogia...

There is some evidence to suggest that cinnamon does have a blood thinning effect, however the dose of cinnamon and the length of treatment required to result in blood thinning is less clear. With the resources I have at hand I am not confident in saying that it is definitely safe to take this supplement.

In addition, I noticed you are on Nexium. It is possible that the ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and then hydroxycitric acid (in the Garcinia cambogia extract) may exacerbate your reflux issues but this may not be significant if it is well controlled.

If you are happy my advice please accept by answer and give me a rating, thanks.