Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

I've had a clogged right side of nose a month now goes

Customer Question

I've had a clogged right side of nose for about a month now goes away then comes back goes away and comes back even after taking decongestions I have done a netti pot which is not even easy to do because it's so clogged the water doesn't even go anywhere... Any remedie to try or reasoning
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'm Dr. Bridget.

It is possible that you have a condition called a deviated septum. The septum is the cartilage that divides your sinus cavities. If it is fixed to one side, this may cause one nasal passage to be blocked off from time to time. When medications alone do not resolve your symptoms, the next step is surgery. Medications that should be tried include decongestants like Sudafed and Afrin nasal spray (seems that you have already tried these), antihistamines like Claritin, or other allergy medications like Singulair.

Please reply with further questions/comments. I would like work with you to help get your problem solved. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried everything I know I probably shouldn't admit this as it is my son but I was messaging for his issue as he does do oxycodome could that be why it stays clogged?

Thanks for your reply. The oxycodone would not be a likely culprit. It can rarely cause a runny nose and sinus infections, but not intermittent nasal congestion on just one side. This definitely seems like more of a structural problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
even tho he's sniffing it daily about 150 mg a day?

Oh, snorting it...that may have different side effects than taking it orally. Nasal congestion could certainly be caused by snorting any powdered substance. It probably won't go away as long as the snorting of oxycodone continues. The excipients in the tablet (aka "fillers") will stick to the sinus cavity causing irritation, inflammation and congestion.

Hi! Just checking in to see how things are going with the clogged nose. Hopefully the info I provided was helpful to you and your son. Please know that I am here for you if you have any further follow-up questions. When you're all set, please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my service. Thank you!