William Pflugfelder
William Pflugfelder, Pharmacist
Experience:  Pharmacist at Health Care Consultants

I have taken cenestin and when the drug was discontinued, I

Customer Question

I have taken cenestin for years and when the drug was discontinued, I was switched to estradiol. I am having to many side effects. Headaches, back pain, difficultly sleeping, mood changes, etc. Is there a better drug to use?
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Joint pain mostly and numbness in my arm.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am 71 and healthy. I am taking a statin, but it is a small dose. I also wear contact lenses and I have noticed extra dryness. The hormones are the only other medication I am on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pharmacist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'm Dr. Bridget, a certified geriatric pharmacist.

Yes, there are some other options that you can try that may have a more favorable side effect profile. If you are using it to relieve menopausal symptoms, substituting Paroxetine (brand names Brisdelle or Paxil CR) for Estradiol may be an option. This medication is FDA indicated to treat menopausal symptoms, but is not a hormone so you won't have any of the side effects you are currently experiencing. If you would like to stick with hormones, however, there are other conjugated estrogen products like Cenestin. The brand name for these products is Premarin.

Please let me know if you have further questions/comments. I am happy to get everything answered for you.

If you're all set, a positive rating is much appreciated. Thanks!

Expert:  William Pflugfelder replied 3 months ago.
Good morning. DrBillRPh here. The symptoms you describe could be due to low progesterone levels or estrogen dominance. Your local compounding pharmacy can work with your prescriber to individualize and optimize therapy. Hope helpful. DrBillRPh