rx_lauren, Doctor of Pharmacy
Experience:  I have been a pharmacist for 13 years. Practice areas include retail, hospital, and long term care.

It was recommended that I use an antibiotic cream containing

Customer Question

It was recommended that I use an antibiotic cream containing Mupirocin by, but I can not find any over the counter items. Do you have a recommendation?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not seen a doctor yet. I have been using Neosporin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, I am pretty healthy. The online doctor saw a picture and said it looked like a boil that I would need to treat with antibiotic cream containing Mupirocin.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pharmacist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  rx_lauren replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Mupirocin is available via prescription only. Unfortunately, the only available over the counter medication you can use is Neosporin, which you have already tried. You would have to visit the doctor to get a prescription for the mupirocin. If it is a boil, you can apply a warm cloth to the area for about 30 minutes, up to 4 times a day. After that, clean the area really well so it doesn't get reinfected. Use an antibacterial soap to clean the area and be sure to keep it clean.