Dr. Riaz
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy
Experience:  Pharmacist

Ref Order ID: 16408823-37 I already knew about that

Customer Question

ref Order ID: 16408823-37I already knew about that magnesium stuff. My mom is 95 years old and has advanced alzheimers. She can't take all those big pills. We are looking for something to replace the gavilax powder/solution that is burning her mouth. We had to give her 3 doses of morphine yesterday and 2 the day before. A few weeks ago I saw a TV ad for a new kind of laxative that "works differently", but I didn't get the name of it.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Riaz replied 4 months ago.

Considering her age, you might want to give her a lower dose such as 1/4-1/2 of normal adult dose and see if burning goes away.

Expert:  Dr. Riaz replied 4 months ago.

Or we can consider other laxatives that will help her such as Colace, Glyerin suppositories, Senna.....that are milder version for elderly.

Expert:  Dr. Riaz replied 4 months ago.

Morphine can make constipation worse too. That is why patients are given Colace to use along with these opiate pain killers.

Expert:  Dr. Riaz replied 4 months ago.

Glycerin is an osmotic laxative as wll. Psyllium seed preparations is another good option.

Expert:  Dr. Riaz replied 4 months ago.
Checking back to ensure mom is doing OK and you have no other questions. If no further questions, then please rate my answer. Take care.