Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thank you service :)!! I like what I hear about the

Customer Question

Thank you for this service :)!!
I like what I hear about the L-Glutathione benefits. However, I have G6PD and I am not sure if this L-Glutathione is safe for people like me. Can you tell me if L-Glutathione is safe for G6PD folks??
Thank You kindly,
Marcy ***@******.***
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 4 months ago.

Hi Marcy! Thanks for your patience as I prepared my answer for you.

Glutathione is safe if you have G6PD deficiency.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

If you're all set though, a positive rating is much appreciated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand that G6PD folks can't have sulfur and L-Glutathione has a sulfur chemical reaction. (please check on this)Still, if you say it is safe, what must be done for the L-glutathione to be absorbed into the body?

My source does not list Glutathione as something that should be avoided by people with G6PD deficiency, as long as it is taken within the recommended daily intake (100-500 mg/day). There are other drugs that are recommended to be avoided, as well as fava beans. There are two pathways in which Glutathione is metabolized, only one of which requires NADPH. Still so, your body has some production of NADPH and so Glutathione can still be metabolized. Glutathione is not considered a sulfur amino acid like methionine and cysteine. NAC (or N-actylcysteine) is an alternative to using Glutathione. NAC is a precursor of Glutathione, which seems to raise Glutathiione levels in red blood cells better than taking Glutathione.

Hey Marcy! How is everything going with the Glutathione? Have you decided to try it or perhaps looked at N-acetylcysteine (NAC) instead? I found a study that shows NAC is beneficial in those with your condition. It is supposed to be more useful than Glutathione in patients with G6PD defiiency, as it does not require NADPH for its activity. Check this out and let me know what you think: