Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

What is the difference between antithrombotics,

Customer Question

What is the difference between antithrombotics, anticoagulants, and antiplatelets? They all seem to be classified as antithrombotics, but how would you classify a drug such as Pradaxa, a direct thrombin inhibitor, and why?
Thank you!
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 4 months ago.

Hi! Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Bridget.

The classifications of drugs that prevent blood clots (all are considered antithrombotics/anticoagulants) is dependent upon their mechanism of action. For example, Aspirin works by inhibiting platelet aggregation, there it is considered an antiplatelet. Pradaxa is and antithrombotic/anticoagulant.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you have them. I am happy to help:)

To further clarify, antithrombotics can either be anticoagulants or antiplatelets. Anticoagulants are drugs that reduce fibrin and antiplatelets are those that prevent platelets from adhering together. Pradaxa is an anticoagulant (which is more specifically called a thrombin inhibitor due to its mechanism of action).

Hi! How are things going the the antithrombotics? I haven't heard back from you, but please be aware I am still here for you if you need any further assistance. If you're all set for now, though, a positive rating would be very much appreciated. Thank you!