Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you

I have a 15 year old who had poison sumac. She has it on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 15 year old who had poison sumac. She has it on several places on her body and can't seem to get rid of it. She has had it for the past 2 weeks. I have some prednisone at home. Would this be a good option for her to clear it up?
JA: The Pharmacist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Pharmacist should know?
Customer: The dosage of the pills I have are 10 mg.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: None and NKA
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pharmacist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Yes, prednisone is a good medication for poison sumac but the problem is, you need your doctor's prescription for that. Prednisone for poison ivy or sumac is titrated down. Meaning, the dose will start with a higher dose. You probably wouldn't have enough to finish the course. It is important that you taper off of prednisone so try giving your doctor a call