Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

I believe I have septic bursitus in my right elbow. Extreme

Customer Question

I believe I have septic bursitus in my right elbow. Extreme pain in movement. Very painful when trying to sleep. Swollen and red warm to the touch.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 4 months ago.

Hi! Thanks for your question and your patience as I prepared your answer. You're speaking with Dr. Bridget.

If you think you have septic bursitis, you will likely need antibiotic treatment. You'll need to see your doctor for this...or go to the ER or urgent care if you need treatment now.

In the meantime, you can take some steps to reduce the pain and inflammation by doing the following:

1) Avoid activities that may induce pain on the elbow (sports, repetitive motion of the elbow, heavy lifting, etc).

2) Keep your elbow elevated on a pillow or arm chair whenever you can. Also, ice the area when at rest.

3) Take Naproxen OTC 2 tablets every 12 hours around the clock. You may also take Tylenol 1,000 mg every 6 hours as needed for breakthrough pain.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I am happy to help:)

Hi Jason,

I haven't heard back from you regarding your question on septic bursitis. How is everything going with that?

My goal is to get all of your questions answer to your satisfaction, so if there is anything else I can assist you with today just reply.

If you're all set, a positive rating is much appreciated. Thank you!