Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Would a pharmacist, doctor or veterinarian be wrong, if a

Customer Question

would a pharmacist, doctor or veterinarian be wrong, if a customer/patient asked them about lowering the dosage of a medication and they told the customer/patient to adjust the medication to what ever that they feel comfortable
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 5 months ago.
Hi! Could you give me a few more details about the situation? In most cases, a definitive dose would be prescribed and that would be determined by the prescriber not the patient. Sometimes, there are range orders (example: give every 4-6 hours) or symptoms severity (example: take 1 tab if mild pain, 2 tabs for moderate-severe pain) where it would be up to the patient to determine what dose to take. If you simply asked about lowering a dose and they told you to take whatever you want without actually changing your prescription, that in and of itself does not seem appropriate.
Please feel free to reply with further questions or concerns.If you got what you need already, a positive rating is much appreciated:) Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so what if we were talking about furosemide...
I have seen "as needed" types of order for Furosemide before. The physician will have the patient take Furosemide on days where they have more edema (fluid buildup) than their baseline and not take it or take a lower dose on days they have less/no edema.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what besides fluid buildup would furosemide be used for ?
That is really all I ever see it used for...removing excess fluids from the body. All of the FDA indications are related to excess fluid...heart failure, renal impairment, hypertension, etc. Off label, it can be used for high calcium in the blood.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I heard it can be used to help blood pressure
Yes, high blood pressure is hypertension.It helps reduce blood pressure by reducing the amount of fluid in the cardiovascular system.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so if it was being used for hypertension , have you ever heard of starting a patient on two different blood pressure medications at once?
Yes, when the blood pressure is really high (>160/100) it is often decided to start two medications at once. Typical patients with high blood pressure require 2-3 medications to get below goal.
Hi! How are things going with the furosemide? Haven't heard back from you:) I am happy to answer any further questions. My goal is to get all of your questions answered to your satisfaction.