Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

The tip of my penis is red where the urinary tract is. it also

Customer Question

the tip of my penis is red where the urinary tract is. it also ha a discharge coming from it. From what I have read, it seems that I have a urinary tract infection. Is there an over the counter medicine I can buy that will help?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 5 months ago.
Hello! I'm Dr. Bridget. Thanks for your question.If you truly have a UTI, antibiotics are the best medicine. Do you have any burning when you urinate, fever, pain in your lower back?Some things can also help while waiting to start antibiotics are cranberry capsules, Vitamin C, and Azo (phenazopyridine).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no pain or burning. What can I buy thats an over the counter antibiotic?
Unfortunately, antibiotics will require a prescription. The other OTC I mentioned can help, though. Cranberry supplements help prevent bacteria from sticking to your bladder walls and Vitamin C acidifies urine to kill bacteria. You can take one cranberry capsule daily, Vitamin C 1,000 mg four times a day with food and drink at least 64 oz of water a day. If you have a UTI, this would help within a couple of days. If symptoms persist, you would want to see a doctor. The Azo would not be necessary if you have no burning.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So if I take these two tablets, this should take care of that? I should not need any antibiotics?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
These tablets will also eliminate the discharge that I am having as well?
Yes, if it is a UTI the cranberry and Vitamin C with lots of water will definitely help with your symptoms. If you don't see any relief after 3 days, that's when you want to get into see a doctor. UTIs in men are considered "complicated UTIs", often caused by other underlying factors like enlarged prostate. A doctor will be able to work this up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Just bought both tablets and am starting them now. Should I see improvements quickly as in tomorrow?
Yes, some improvement should be noted by tomorrow.If you see no improvement, you'll want to see a doctor as it may not be a UTI.