Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I am prescribed wellbutrin and lorazapen. I am under a lot

Customer Question

I am prescribed wellbutrin and lorazapen. I am under a lot of stress and take way more then the prescribed amount. I want to stop and am afraid of withdrawals. Is it possible to tapper my amount back to the normal dose with out side effects? Thank you
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** is very possible to avoid withdrawal with a slow tapering plan. I would be happy to offer a tapering plan if you'd like.
Please feel free to reply with the current doses you are on and what your goal doses will be.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I would like to get advise to tapper my wellbutrin. I am prescribed 3 per day but take up to 12 per day
No problem...what is the strength of Wellbutrin in milligrams? Is this the SR form, XR form, etc?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are extended release 150 each
Ok thanks...I am working the a tapering schedule now. Please stand by for a few moments...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help
You are welcome! You can taper the dose down by about 150 mg/day every 3 days. So if you are currently taking 12 tablets in a day, starting tomorrow Thursday go down to 11 tablets per day, on Sunday go down to 10 tablets per day, and so forth. 450 mg/day is the max recommended dose so this will definitely be the safest dose for you to stay on once you get back down to it again.
Your original question mentioned Lorazepam. Are you interested in tapering down Lorazepam, too?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What can I expect for side effects. Already vomiting couple times a day from upset stomach.
The vomiting may be related to the high dose you are taking. With a slow downward titration, side effect/withdrawal would be rare, but may include:irritability, nausea, feeling dizzy, vomiting, nightmares, headache, and/or paresthesias (prickling, tingling sensation on the skin). Again, I don't think you will have these as it would be more common if you stopped taking the drug cold turkey.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will my memory return to normal
If you have some memory impairment caused by the excessive dose, yes it will return in time (might take a few weeks, but it is not permanent).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tried to withdraw with side effects before. Any suppliment to help while going through with drawls
There are no specific supplements, just supportive care...treat the symptoms as they arise.
A slow and gradual taper should really help prevent withdrawals or at least make it mild enough for you to tolerate the dose reductions.
Please feel free to continue asking any questions you may have. If done for now, please take a moment to use the star scale to rate my service.Even after providing a rating, you can continue to converse with me on this thread. Thank you!
Hi there...just checking in to see how things are going with reducing your dose of Wellbutrin.