Dr. Cooper
Dr. Cooper, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

I have yellowish mucus in my chest . Coughing is so painful

Customer Question

I have yellowish mucus in my chest . Coughing is so painful and so few and the mucus is hardly expelled . A doctor prescribed for me augmentin 1 gm with prospan ( herbal cough syrup ) and another one told me to use zithromax. What am i supposed to use ??
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thanks for the question. Both medications (Augmentin and Zithromax) are good if you have upper respiratory infection like strep throat. If you already started one, continue on it till it is finished. Mucinex DM would be a good addition because it will help with loosing up the mucus and reducing your coughing.
Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 7 months ago.
In addition:1. Gargle with warm salt water every 1-2 hours.2. Liquid Diphenhydramine-2 teaspoons at bedtime will make the cough go away while antibiotic kills the bug causing it3. Buy some cough drops4. Drink plenty of warm fluids
Checking back to see if you are feeling better.