Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained in Pharmacology
55099014

What is the best drug ?

Customer Question

What is the best drug for osteoperosis?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for this questionThe best first line drug is fosamaxIt is cheap, effective and we know how to use it nowlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using justanswer.com
Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry but studies show differently."We now have some excellent drugs for bone loss. In the bisphosphonate family, Actonel is ranked No 1, with Fosamax a close second," and Boniva a distant third, because it has not yet been shown to reduce hip fracture."
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Phatmscy
Actonel is once a month and Fosamax once a week.
First, make sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D. If you and are still losing bone mass, then ask your PCP to start treatment with Actonel once a month. It is a long-term commitment. The chances are, you will be on it for a long time. Hope this clarifies things for you.
It is about a 5 year committment to these drugsafter that they start to have negative effects on bone remodeling.
I would stick with Calcium and Vitamin D
Hi Barbara,Checking back to see if you have any other questions. If done for now, please rate the service. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.
I have opened the rating system for youPlease remember I only get credit if you rate positive for meIf you have more questions, just reply :)
Checking back to see if you have any other questions. If done for now, please rate the service. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.
any more issues?