Dr. Cooper
Dr. Cooper, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

I am a chronic severe pain patient, my MD has prescribed

Customer Question

I am a chronic severe pain patient, my MD has prescribed Percocet 10/325, Brand necessary, to manage my pain for 7 years, I cannot find any pharmacys that have my medication. I always go to my local PUBLIX pharmacy to fill the Rx, but they advised me that they cannot get the medication. Consequently, I was forced to go 4 other pharmacies in search of medication and none were able to fill my Rx. After 3 hours of searching a pharmacy was able to fill Rx with generic Med, I have been in terrible pain because the generic Med is ineffective : withdrawal, insomnia, depression and anxiety symptoms are producing desperation and hopelessness. I cannot live or function in my current state. Please advise me on my options!
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,
Please allow me a moment to read and fully understand your question.
I can totally understand your suffering and empathize with you. Withdrawals from that medication can be extremely difficult if not impossible to deal with.
Even though generics have the same active ingredients as the brand name, at the end of the day.... Brand is still Brand.
But unfortunately, as soon as a generic becomes available, brand is typically not available. I would try to use different generics and see which one agrees with you more. I have seen that different people respond differently to the same drug made by a different company.... Ironic, but true. So do not give up... Also continue to try to see if any pharmacy is able to order the brand for you. Brand might not be available. But does not hurt to try.
Other options are to ask your MD to switch you to another medication. Oxycontin still comes as a brand. You should benefit from that. It is the same as Percocet but with the Tylenol.
I meant without the Tylenol
In the meantime, to deal with the pain and withdrawals, take an additional 1/2 to 1 tablet to see if it helps.
I am surprised your pharmacist did not take initiative and contacted your doctor to switch to Oxycontin (Brand).
I strive to provide quick, accurate, and thoughtful answers to questions on topics I know well. Once fully satisfied, then please kindly rate my answer :)
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy
Checking back to be sure if you don't have any other questions. If no further questions, then please rate my answer. I only get credit for helping when it is rated. TChecking back to be sure if you don't have any other questions. If no further questions, then please rate my answer. I only get credit for helping when it is rated. You will not be charged twice.
Feel free to return to ask any follow up questions that come up later.
Feeling any better?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I sincerely ***** ***** kind reply and useful advice. I plan to call my physician in the morning for an appointment to discuss your suggestions. I share your surprise that my pharmacist didn't offer to assist me.
Your response is excellent!! Thanks for caring.
I am glad I could help. Please be sure to rate my service as we only get credit for helping clients if rated. You are not charged twice.
Keep me posted on how it goes with your doctor.
Take care.
Please rate my service as soon as you are able to :) Hopefully 5 stars!