Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I have appointment in two weeks with a ear Dr, but I truly

Customer Question

I have appointment in two weeks with a ear Dr, but I truly need a prescription eardrop to rid this smell in my left ear. Don't think I can take this for 2 weeks
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 9 months ago.
Hi James,There are some over-the-counter ear wax removal medicines. Have you tried any of those yet?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes they don't eliminate the smell though, only a strong antibiotic will
Ok, I understand. We cannot offer prescriptions on this site. I would be happy to refer you to other sites that do OR discuss some other options for cleaning your ear out (ie acetic acid solution). Please let me know if you are interested in either of these options.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just need help bad, it's not hurting but the smell has to be eliminated
Have you tried using an acetic acid solution? You can make it yourself and it works to eliminate bacteria/fungus in the ears, which will also eliminate the bad smell.
This works really well and super easy/economical to make:Household vinegar diluted 1:1 with fresh water or with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol administered into the ear canal four to five times a day and may be retained with a cotton ball. To avoid injuring the eardrum, do not attempt to clean out the ear with a QTip. The solution should be retained in the ear for a minimum of 5 minutes with each application.
I would highly recommend trying this first. Seeing a doctor online to get an antibiotic will cost you at least $50 just for the consult plus the cost of the prescription. The acetic acid will work just as well in your case.
Please respond if you have any follow-up questions- I am standing by and happy to help.If done for now, please take a moment to use the star scale above the chat box to rate my service. Thank you!
Hello James,Just checking in to see if you used the acetic acid solution I recommended in your ear. If so, is it working well?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's slow, when I use it should I have more alcohol then vinegar?
The recommended ratio is 1:1, but using more alcohol certainly will not hurt if you feel that would be more effective.
Hi James,Just checking in again to see how its going with the ear solution. After doing a little more research, I would suggest you increase the vinegar portion of the solution (2:1 white vinegar to alcohol). The vinegar is the most active component in the solution in killing bacteria (more acid=more killing power). This may help speed up the process in getting the smell under control. Hope this helps!
Hi James,Hopefully, you have seen some marked improvement in your ear.Please don't forget to leave a positive rating on the star scale so that I may get credit for helping you. Thank you!