Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained in Pharmacology
55099014

Was wondering how this works. I suffer from panic attacks. They are so intense

Customer Question

Hey there. Was wondering how this works. I suffer from panic attacks. They are so intense I end up in the hospital. They give me meds, but only a weeks supply.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alixandria,My name is***** and I will be assisting you today. The reason for the limited supply is because most medications used to treat panic attacks (like benzodiazepines) are controlled substances. Physicians have a responsibility to ensure their patients are monitored for appropriate use of these medicines, which often requires follow-up visits. The physician discharging you from the hospital is probably not your regular primary care doctor, and so the hospital physician feels more comfortable giving you a short supply and having you follow-up with your regular doctor or psychiatrist to continue treatment. Does this help? Please feel free to reply if you have further questions.
This method also helps ensure that you follow-up with your regular physician to get on an optimal treatment plan so that you can have fewer hospital admissions in the future. It is pretty standard for anyone admitted to the hospital to be sent home with prescriptions (controlled and non-controlled substances) for a limited supply with an order to follow-up with the primary care doctor in 1-2 weeks. Please let me know if you need further clarification. If done for now, please take a moment to rate my service. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alixandria. I am a physician and I can help you get some non addictive substances from a primary care doctor in your area.Where do you live?
If you have more questions, just reply