Dr. Cooper
Dr. Cooper, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

I think that I have strep in addition to mastitis. I've been

Customer Question

I think that I have strep in addition to mastitis. I've been prescribed Dicloxacillin and am just beginning treatment for the mastitis. Will this antibiotic also take care of strep?
Category: Pharmacy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My 6 year old daughter has strep and is just starting treatment with amoxicillin. Or should I take amoxicillin 500 mg three times a day, like the other dr recommended for my strep? Would this antibiotic and dosage be acceptable while breastfeeding?
Expert:  William Pflugfelder replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Thanks for the question. Just want to clarify. Did your Daughter's pediatrician prescribe her amoxicillin? What dose is she taking? Also, have you been diagnosed with strep at this time? I can better answer your question with this info.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my daughter was diagnosed with strep and prescribed amoxicillin. I have not been diagnosed with strep, but I've had it before and it feels like strep. And I have been exposed to it from my older daughter. I am trying to decide if I should move forward with Dicloxacillin - to clear up mastitis and possible strep - or if I should go to a dr and get amoxicillin. Is an adult dose of amoxicillin safe for continued breastfeeding?
Thanks,Dicloxaclin is best used for staph. And is not generally indicated for strep. amoxicillin is a much better choice. It is safe to take while breast feeding. The drug will be present in your breast milk while you are taking it but the concentrations will be low. You both will be fine.Hope helpful,DrBillRPh
It is advisable to ask the prescriber of the dicloxacillin for the change of medication so that you have continuity of care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. I strive to provide excellent service. Please to take a moment or two to rate my service. DrBillRPh
Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 8 months ago.
I recommend you should move forward with Dicloxacillin - to clear up mastitis and possible strep.... Even though Diclox is used for staph, it does cover Strep as well. It is perfectly safe in breastfeeding. So is adult dose of Amox. But I would take Diclox first. If Strep does not improve in 2-3 days, then seek Amox.
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy
In addition, gargling with warm Salt Water helps a great deal with strep throat treatment.