Dr. Cooper
Dr. Cooper, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

Does an expiration date mean it's toxic or simply

Customer Question

Does an expiration date for entocort mean it's toxic or simply ineffective.
JA: The Pharmacist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Pharmacist can help you best.
Customer: I have microscopic collagen ousted colitis. Comes and goes with years between episodes. I have a three year old sealed presc. It's very expensive, so I'd like to save that thousand bucks.
JA: Is there anything else the Pharmacist should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm 71, female in pretty good health.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pharmacist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Saqib replied 8 months ago.

Hi there. Its a pleasure to help you with the question. Can you please tell me what is the expiry date on the product or when it was filled?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5 /20/13
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a Canadian drug
Expert:  Saqib replied 8 months ago.

If you got the product 3 years ago from a pharmacy and you don't have expiry date on the bottle, then most likely it is expired several months ago or even

1-2 years ago. In most such cases, the potency of the medication may drop so much that the drug becomes ineffective. But it may also cause toxicity in some cases. The drug is likely

ineffective if you don't know the expiry date. Regarding toxicity, you can call Manufacturer (Astra Zeneca) and talk to their drug information officer for accurate data. I hope that this a satisfactory answer for you. If any question, please ask me and also rate me for the service provided

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Exp. Date 5/2013
Expert:  Saqib replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the expiry date. So at this point (almost 2 years after expiry) the drug is mostly ineffective.

Expert:  Saqib replied 8 months ago.

You can call Astra Zeneca at 1-800-2369933 and talk to a drug information officer regarding toxicity of Entocort past 2 years after expiry

Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 8 months ago.

I would like to offer a different answer that the medication is not FULLY effective, but not FULLY ineffective either. It is not going to be toxic. The only drug that you should NEVER take that has expired is Tetracycline.

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy

Let me know if still have more questions. If done for now, then please rate my answer. Take care.
Just checking back to see if you tried entocort and was it still effective?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
good advice.
Please kindly rate the answer so I can get credit for helping. We only get credit when client rate us.
For any future questions, feel free to contact me. Here is the direct link to my home page: http://www.justanswer.com/pharmacy/expert-pharmdy2k/?rpt=3800