Dr. Cooper
Dr. Cooper, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

Can Vistaril cause a false positive on a urine drug test, My

Customer Question

Can Vistaril cause a false positive on a urine drug test for benzos
JA: It can be really useful knowing what is showing up in drug tests. I'm sure our Expert will help you decide whether to get one or not. Please give me a bit more information, so the Pharmacist can help you best.
Customer: My son was seen by a crisis center yesterday and benzos showed up in his urine drug test he is taking paxil and vistaril and said that he has not taken a benzos.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pharmacist should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Pharmacist responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pharmacist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. What other medications are you son taking apart from Vistaril and paxil. It is not the Vistaril that is likely to be causing the false positive but rather, it is the Paxil. False positive from SSRI's are well documented so talk to your doctor about it.

Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 9 months ago.

Yes it does. I take 50 mg per night and i failed drug test for benzo a secondary test though shows the truth and should show you clear.

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy

Vistaril is labeled as an antihistamine and as an hypnotic/sedative, it is also an antianxiety med. It may cause a false positive on a drug screening, I would advise the testing person that you are on this medicine so they can tell the difference in the drug screening. Hope this information helps some. Good luck.

I strive to provide quick, accurate, customized, complete, and thoughtful answers to questions on topics I know well. Once fully satisfied, then please kindly rate my answer :)

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy