Dr. Cooper
Dr. Cooper, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

Iim using albuterol every six hrs because of a virus, can I

Customer Question

Iim using albuterol every six hrs because of a virus, can I start using Advair which has been prescribed before to clear the asthma
JA: OK. The Pharmacist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Pharmacist can help you best.
Customer: Virus diagnosed, symptoms clearing except for dry hacking cough, taking rescue inhaler every six hrs. Should I start Advair as prescribed before to boost the asthma clearance.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pharmacist should know?
Customer: Nope, I know Advair takes a while to kick in but I need some help because I'm tight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pharmacist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today.

Both the drugs stimulate the heart and therefore they can be used together only under medical supervision if at all.

You should not start taking Advair while being on albuterol by yourself as they can interact with each other and can cause heart related complications.

Expert:  Dr. Cooper replied 9 months ago.

You can use both together. Albuterol is a short acting bronchodialator for acute attacks, , while Advair is a maintenance medication. You can use the two together. Once your symptoms are better, then can stop albuterol, and continue Advair.

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy

Be sure to continue using Advair even after your symptoms are better as this is a combination medication with long-acting bronchodialator and corticosteroid and both help prevent asthma attacks. Albuterol is considered a "rescue" inhaler and used as needed for acute attacks of yourcough and shortness of breath. Hope you feel better.

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy