Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I have an acute gout attack.usually take prednisone, but

Customer Question

I have an acute gout attack.usually take prednisone, but wanted to avoid it this time,because of the side effect,and tried taking Aleeve 220 gr gel an hopeful would work,I took it at 5 pm,its now 1;30 am...can I start with the predisone 30 mg or do i have to wait longer...re interactions..i have it in the right heel/ankle and it "sounds"like i am getting a"start " in the left foot... I have a history of gout.....can not take the usual meds to lower uric acid..( everything closes up ( throat etc)..the pain has gotten really bad..and i have a high threshold of pain....we have still terrible snow condition and going to the ER is not possible ( my feet are swollen...( both) which somehow are connected AFTER i stopped Prednisone i was told by others who had taken prednisone and then went off.I went off VERY slowly..final does about 12 days ago..( 2.5 for 3 days and then 3 days half of that.WHEN CAN I TAKE THE PREDNISONE WITHOUT INTERFERING WITH THE ALEEVE? THINKING TO START WITH 30 MG.. DONT WANT TO GO HIGHER........had 1 aleeve on friday what i thought was ankle pain./tendon? in both feet....and one on saturday and one today ( sunday 5pm)
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Sherwin Kashani replied 10 months ago.

You can start taking Pred that is fine. It has been several hours so this should be safe.

Take some two paracetamol 500mg in addition as an extra pain reliever if you have some at home.

If you haven't already tried you can talk to your Dr about colchicine as an alternative pain reliever when you experience gout attacks.

To lower you risk of future attacks try to limits any alcohol or meat in your diet which can act as triggers.

Hope that helps

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have viewed your answer and taken the meds right after and followed it up with my Kidney MD here in New York NY.
doing much better..we increased the dosage to 60 mg ...Thank you for your answer
GLB