Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

Is it possible to test positive if the patient is on

Customer Question

Customer: is it possible to test positive for benzoids if the patient is on methadone an antiseizure medication and an antidepressant
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my son has tested positive for benzoids and swears he hasn't taken anything He will use Zanxe
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pharmacy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 1 year ago.

Hi! What is the name of the seizure and antidepressant medicine your son is taking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really not sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can find out

No problem. Some antidepressants can cause a false positive for benzodiazepines on a drug screen. For example, Sertraline (Zoloft) has been shown to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kepra and effexor

Keppra and Effexor have not been shown to cause a false positive for benzodiazepines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm concerned with his behavior on these meds he just goes blank and mean and scary when he comes out of it he remembers nothing

Keppra and Effexor both alter brain function and so this type of side effect is very possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took my grandson in his car and totaled it this has been going on for years I am scared out of my mind because I don't know what causes this fuge

I am sorry to hear that...it could be side effects of medication and/or something medical/neurological.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at wk can't talk

I understand...if you have any follow-up questions later, please don't hesitate to return to this thread. I will be happy to answer them. Please don't forget a positive rating if you feel the information I provided answered your question:)

Thanks,

Dr.Bridget,PharmD,CGP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just want know what is wrong with him

I am sorry for the difficult situation your are in. As a parent, I am sure all you want for your son is good health and happiness. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know:)

Regards,

Dr.Bridget,PharmD,CGP

Hello...any more news on the false positive drug test?

Please don't forget a positive rating...thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 12 months ago.

Hi! How did everything turn out with the drug testing? Did your son end up having a repeat test done? My goal is excellent customer service so please let me know if there are any follow-up questions.

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating...thank you:)

Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 11 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see how things are going with the drug testing?

Have I answered all of your questions to your satisfaction?

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating as this is how I get credit for helping you. Thank you:)

Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 10 months ago.