Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I am trying to divide 600mg of a phosphorus binder dog

Customer Question

Customer: i am trying to divide 600mg of a phosphorus binder for my dog between 3 meals a day - I don't have a mg scale so i was wondering how i would figure it out in teaspoons.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its aluminium hydroxide-USP and i am suppose to give 600 mg per day. he gets 3 meals a day so i need to divide it between each meal.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pharmacy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure i can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

Hi, how can I help you with your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello - i paid my $18 - can you please tell me where i get my answer?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

What is the strength of the aluminum? If the one you have is 1200mg per teaspoon, then what you need is to take a half teaspoon content and divide it into three.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i know i have to divide it by 3..... but the question is how do i accurately divide it by 3? i am looking for a way to measure it in teaspoons or something because i can't really put it in a teaspoon and just shake it out and guess what i am giving him at each meal - it needs to be more precise than that.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

Unless you buy weight to measure, you have to estimate. The best way to do this , is to pour out a teaspoon of aluminum on a sheet of paper and divide into two, then divide one of the part into 3

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok - i thought there would be a more precise way - i mean, i know I can just put 1/2 teapsoon on a plate and divide it into 3. So if that is the answer then I didn't need to pay $18 for it - could you please credit me for that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

Yes, if you have additional question, feel free to ask.

Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

I would appreciate a positive rating for my answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was told if I was not satisfied with my answer I could have my money back. I need to see my credit. your answer was what I was already doing. It wasn't scientific or precise. pkease respond about my credit. This is the 2nd time I am asking.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you please respond - this is the 3rd time i am requesting a credit for this question. if you want a good review you should have the decency to respond. now you are being super rude.
Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can have your money back. Sorry, just talk to customer service.

Expert:  Drugdad replied 11 months ago.

I am an expert, I don't get paid unless you are satisfied. Take care

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you please let me know when the credit is going through. will it be as quickly as i was charged?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello - i am still waiting for the credit to show. can you please let me know what's going on?
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 11 months ago.

Hello...your question is still in the active cue. I will be happy to alert a moderator immediately for a refund if this answer does not help you: consider placing one daily dose (600 mg=1/2 teaspoon of powder) into a bowl and mix with a cup of water or milk. 1/3 cup of this mixture will be one dose for the meal. Mix daily and store extra doses in the refrigerator until the next meal.

If you have follow-up questions, I will be happy to respond.

Thanks,

Dr. Bridget,PharmD,CGP

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is an interesting way to do it but that would be too much liquid to put in my dogs food at each of his meals- he is a very small dog. I was just looking for a measurement. If you could please refund me the money that would be great. I await your reply. thank you so much

Ok, no problem. You could reduce the amount of liquid...instead of a whole cup, just add 3 tablespoons of water to 1/2 teaspoon of aluminum hydroxide. 1 tablespoon would be the dose for each meal. This seems like the only easy way to to it without having to get out a food scale to measure the weight. I will flag this for the moderator for you. Hope you have a great evening:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for your response but i don't want to be mixing it with water. if there is no scientific way to divide it then i will get a scale. I appreciate you passing this on to the moderator so that i can be reimbursed. Thank you

No problem...the scale will be your best bet. Get the weight of a 1/2 teaspoon, then divide this by 3 and that will be your dose for each meal. You could also have a compounding pharmacy make capsules for you with the exact dose you need for each meal (if you can get your pooch to take a capsule:) Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks and have a nice evening

Thanks...You too!