Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

Is it possible that prescriptions can vary from pharmacy to

Customer Question

Is it possible that prescriptions can vary from pharmacy to pharmacy? My daughter is taking Hydroco/acetamin for pain. She has to have a blood check to see if she is taking it.
She had to change pharmacy because of the new law. She never had a problem of the test showing positive with the first pharmacy. With the one she changed to, it is always negative. I know she is taking them because she would hurt too much. Also she has noticed that she has had more pain with the last pills.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gloria,

Thanks for your question! If I am interpreting your question correctly, Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen tablets may be from different manufacturers when obtained from different pharmacies, but the chemical formulation is the same and should not cause a drug screen to be negative. If you have the tablets and can give me a description (color and markings on them), I can check to be sure that what she is taking is actually Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen and not another medication packaged in the bottle in error. Another possibility is a false negative. This may occur for many reasons including taking a dose too low to be detectable or lab error (did the wrong test, mixed up results). If you think it is a false negative, let the prescribing physician know why and explain that she would like to be re-tested. If this is the first time something like this has happened to her, the prescriber should allow this.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions- I will be happy to respond. If the information I provided has helped you solve your problem, please let me know or provide a positive rating!

Thanks,

Dr. Bridget, PharmD,CGP