Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

My adult daughter takes hydrocodone neck injury. She used

Customer Question

My adult daughter takes hydrocodone for a neck injury. She used the same pharmacy for 2 yrs. Last month she was told that she had too many early refills for the year. Never once was she denied her refill by the insurance or pharmacy. Her doctor is furious
since he does the scripts. She now has her refill coming up in 2 weeks and is fearful that other pharmacies may deny her. Do pharmacies red flag people? She lives in California.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Sherwin Kashani replied 1 year ago.

Drugs like hydrocodone are categoried as 'drugs of dependence' and pharmacists have a legal responsibility to make sure these drugs are dispense for the right reasons. It may have been the case that your daughter had increased her frequency in having her scripts dispensed. This may have raised a red flag for the pharmacist. In such instances the pharmacist would need to call the prescribing doctor to check if this was the doctors intention and OK. If you decide to go to another pharmacy it is important to let the pharmacist know that the are needing the medication more often and check with their doctor. This way the pharmacist is aware of your daughters situation and would not cite suspicion in her use if she does increase her frequency of refilling her script.