Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

I have been suffering from severe depression past few

Customer Question

Hello, I have been suffering from severe depression for the past few months. My Doctor has recommended that I take Trintellix (Canada) however I have been hesitant as I also have a fear of hair loss and have been diagnosed with telogene effluvium. Can you please tell me if there are any anti depressants in the market that do not cause hair loss or scalp itching?
Thank you
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 1 year ago.

Antidepressants that do not list hair loss or alopecia in the package insert include: Viibryd, Brintellix, and the only SSRI that does not list it is Sertraline (Zoloft). Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Although it may not list it on the insert does this mean that the possibility of hair loss does not exist? Trintellix is the brand name for Brintellix in Canada. I had read online that it can cause hair loss. Please let me know as this is making me hesitant in starting any anti depressant.

It means that in clinical trials no subjects reported hair loss therefore it should NOT be a adverse reaction from the drug. Thanks for the question.

In your case you should not be hesitant to start the medication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am hesitant and resistant as I am reading that all SSRI cause hair loss. Zoloft and Brintellix included. I am really at a loss. I do not wish to start something that will make my situation worse. Is there anything else that you might recommend?

All other antidepressants have a risk of hair loss. I would recommend the 3 I listed above as the chance for hair loss should not be a concern. Thanks.

At you convenience please let me know how satisfied you were with my answer by rating my service. Thanks.

Checking back to see if you need any further assistance. Please rate my answer at your convenience. Thanks