Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I have been taking .5 mg alprazolam year now but it does not

Customer Question

I have been taking .5 mg alprazolam for anxiety for a year now but it does not seem to be working as it did
Category: Pharmacy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you prescribe me something different ?
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. Unfortunately, that is not something that can be done at this website.

Expert:  Carl Madigan replied 1 year ago.

Alprazolam is a in a class of medications called benzodiazepines. They are often used in the treatment of anxiety. Some of the big issues with these types of medications are that their effectiveness decreases very quickly in most people, and are not very effective at long term anxiety treatment.

Most doctors will present you the following options after alprazolam starts to "poop-out":

-Switch to another drug within the same class (Klonopin, Ativan, etc)

-Increase the dosage of alprazolam

-Change drugs to an SSRI or similar medication. These include fluoxtine, sertraline, citalopram, and others. These types of drugs are very effective at treating anxiety on a more long term basis, and have good results in many people

Hope this helps!